Tuesday, 20 September 2011

Research into Short Films: Original Knowledge

Below is a word diagram that I created on http://www.wordle.net/ to show my original knowledge of the components of short films.


I realised that before I conducted any research into existing Short Films I needed to conduct more detailed research into narrative theory. Below is a slideshare that I found online which I have found very useful in learning about various narrative theories.


Todorov's Narrative Theory

Todorov's theory is that a fictional environment begins with a state of equilibrium meaning that everything is 'normal' and as it should be. Then there is some disruption to this 'normal' state which is later recognised an attempt is made to correct it. Thus returning to a new state of equilibrium. Todorov's concept is illustrated by the diagram inserted below.



Vladamir Propp's Narrative Theory

Propp's Theory is based mainly upon fairy tales. Propp argued that there are many similarities between all fairytale narratives and characters and so he devised his theory about the similar characters that feature within fairy tales having the same narrative function. According to Propp this narrative function of the character's provides structure to the fairy tale film.


Here is Propp's list of fairytale characters that provide a function:
  • The Hero - a character that seeks something.
  • The Villain - who opposes or actively blocks the hero's quest.
  • The Donor - who provides and object with magical properties.
  • The Dispatcher - who sends the hero on his/her quest via a message.
  • The False Hero - who disrupts the hero's success by making false claims.
  • The Helper - who aids the hero.
  • The Princess - acts as the reward for the hero and the object of the villain's plots.
  • Her Father - who acts to reward the hero for his effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment